Saturday, June 09, 2007

It Has Ended... Time To Move On....

Exactly 2 years ago, I embarked on a journey. A journey that every Singaporean male has to go thru. One that is called National Service. I remember that day very well, as though it was yesterday. The sense of dread and trepidation of what was to lie ahead. Wondering if all the horror stories about army were true. Thinking how would I survive in a world of machoism and high levels of tetosterone. Well I did survive and it wasn’t that hard. it feels weird to have finished. A sense of sadness coupled with happiness. One could say a bittersweet farewell.

I went thru so many things during the past 2 years and have created new frens and (hopefully) everlasting bonds. Its little wonder that even after so many years wenever army buddies come together they would reminisce about the times spent in the NS.

Doing time in the army changes a person. More often than not for the good. It has definitely changed me as person. Both physically and mentally. For starters being in the army forces you to be physical which in effect has made me lose a few kilos. Which is good, I’m not complaining but the more important changes that army brings is the changes that occur within. Changing the very person you are.

NS has made me grow up as a person. It has changed my perspective on many things, most importantly on how I view and handle people. These are little life lesson that we take into the next phase of our lives. It has also made me a little bit more confident in the things I do not much but a little bit more.

But the most important thing to me that army gives you is the frenships. I have met many a wonderful people during the past 2 years and also my fair share of those who irritates me to no end. I cherish all the people that I have met and hope that they will still keep in contact. Especially those guys in my unit. U guys are like my second family. I heart heart u guys a lot. Seeing people everyday for most of the week brings a sense of attachment to them. I will miss u guys a lot.

Thus my journey ends here and I will carry with me fond memories of my time spent in service. A new phase of my life has just started I begin it with the same feeling as I did 2 years ago. Wish me luck.

No comments: